GhostWarrior

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationKingsport, TN

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:24 AM

Hey folks,

Just thought I'd give a shout-out to the TN wargaming community and see what everyone is up to with their hobby!

For me, life and work have meant that my casual gaming is down greatly, but my tournament gaming is as strong as it's ever been.  I've been to no less than 7 tournaments this year (6 of which were 2-day GT's), with plenty of ups and downs throughout!  For those of you who've met me, you know my pride and joy is my High Elf army.  With a (relatively) new book, I've had trouble coming up with excuses to switch off of them, especially since the book is well balanced and competitive for any tournament style (talking comp and mission structure here). 

At the NOVA GT I finally broke through my personal goal of going 4-1 at an event by going 5-1 (at my first 6-game GT) and placing 2nd!  I hope now that I've taken that pressure off of myself, I can enjoy the events more, and just relax and throw dice!  I found at NOVA that when I approached games as:  "the models are telling a story of a fantasy battle and as the general you are just giving them the best opportunity you can for their success", it became way more fun to play.  'Will the Frostheart hold against the bloodcrushers for yet another round?' - Yes!  'Will he rally in the last turn after fleeing a charge?' - No!  He's decided that I pushed him too hard!

On the topic of tournaments, I will not be at Redstone Rumble this year, which makes me pretty sad.  The reason for this is that the country has developed a US Masters system (check out wargamersusa), and the Southeast has decided to pick its representatives by using its SE Masters system (top 10 finishers by taking the highest 3 of 5 possible events in the area).  Redstone isn't part of that circuit this year, so I had to cut it.  For those of you who want a really good time, with a cool tournament structure and atmosphere, I definitely recommend going to Redstone Rumble in Hunstville, AL.  It's awesome!

The meta-game is always evolving, and right now the list-building revolves around facing Warriors of Chaos and their chariot-spam goodness, while still being able to handle the lists of other armies.  If you haven't had a chance to play against this list, count yourself lucky, because it is tough!  I won't go much into the why, but know that players now need to have an answer for a Nurgle (though I think his Slaanesh cousin is better) Daemon Prince, along with his Gorebeast chariot buddies.  Cannons are out in force, which further limits the 'weaker' monsters (those with relatively low wounds/ no regen or ward/ overcosted), while Monstrous Cav are still kicking butt.  Warriors tend to make up 10-25% of the fields right now (I know HE's had a big showing at Maul in the Mall, but it was a bit of an anomaly in my opinion).

If any of you would like to get a casual game sometime (and don't want to travel), check out Universal Battle!  For the one-time cost of one average GW boxed set, you can test out new units and try out builds before making a purchase.  It's especially useful for people like me, who have old gaming buddies in NC, AK, CA, NV, MD, & WV!  Also, it's very useful for people who are going to spend 10+ hours to paint/convert each model in their army.

On the hobby front, I've done relatively little this year.  Mostly just painting up a Frostheart (400 snowflakes!), a Loremaster, a Mountain Chimera, and expanding my White Lions from 14 to 20.  I'm actually looking for a new project, wistfully pouring over Lizardmen build ideas with a Carnosaur mounted Oldblood (meaning, yes, no Slann).  You can bet I'll be testing this one out on UB.

That's me.  What are the rest of you guys working on?

Ben

#2 Tepogue

Tepogue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationChattanooga, TN

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:06 PM

Between having a new daughter (7 months old now) finishing community college (Yay AAS in Engineering Technology /done), moving up to the University of TN @ Chattanooga, and getting a miserable job at a gas station (4 days I'm in school 3 days I'm at a gas station telling people, "yes you need ID to purchase beer." I've not played a single game of Fantasy in over a year. So when my bank account hit single digits it was off to ebay. I'm getting out of WFB. All my O&G except for a few Black Orc characters and 1 chariot are gone now. Tomb Kings, High Elves and Skaven will follow soon as I get around to taking pictures. I know the rumors of 9th Ed WFB coming out next year are starting to come in, but down here in Chattanooga, I just don't have time and can't find any players who can meet my admittedly super limited schedule.

http://tepogue.blogspot.com/

We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
We ran to the sounds of the thunder,
We danced among the lighting bolts,
And tore the world asunder.

#3 Mawhonic

Mawhonic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:39 PM

Hi Ben, I really liked your army at the ATC! Sorry our high elf forces did not get to face off against each other. 

It sounds like you're really focusing on tournament play and trying to make a name for yourself around the GT scene. I aspire to do the same over the next 12-24 months.

I was sad to see that Redstone didn't make the Wargamersusa cut, but I will attend nonetheless. I am very much looking forward to it.

I'll probably see you at Grail Quest by the sounds of things. How do you feel about the Swedish Comp?

As far as my gaming goes, I have moved over to a Daemons army and am finding the low model count to my liking. It makes it easier for me to paint and get the army finished, allowing me time to work on stuff like conversions and painting improvement.

I am planning on starting a Mighty Empires campaign with my gaming group to help bring some fluff and excitement to our normal games. 

I've also really gotten into all the WFB podcasts that are out there. I highly recommend http://www.paintingt.../07-2011/1.html Start from the first episode! They're great.

#4 GhostWarrior

GhostWarrior

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationKingsport, TN

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:36 AM

Hey Jay,

I'm glad you like my army...though I have to say that I was not at the ATC this year. :huh:  Perhaps you saw it at Maul in the Mall, or some other Southeast Event?

On Redstone Rumble:  if the organizers are interested in being part of the Southeast Master series (just started this past year), I think there is a place for Redstone.

I will definitely be at Grail Quest.  I don't see your name on the list yet, and today is the last day to signup/pay at the lowest entry rate!  As of today, attendance is up to 68! 

On Swedish Comp - it is really well put together, and makes people think really hard about how to build their lists.  The kicker is how a tournament organizer intends to utilize it in their event (ie, points towards total/for matchups/etc).  I'm generally a fan of variety, and right now the Southeast Masters events are starting to all use this system, which I am not a fan of (3 of the 5 events used it this year).

Yeah, I really should get back into PaintingTabled.  I often forget about them when trying to get my Podcast fix, thanks for the reminder!

#5 Mawhonic

Mawhonic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:31 PM

Yeah it was Maul in the Mall!

Back to painting pink horrors. 15 down, 40 to go.

#6 Arydis

Arydis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationCleveland, TN

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:15 AM

Hey Ben and Jay (and others who post here as well)

I really enjoyed seeing the armies at the Maul as well.  I rarely get to participate in more than a casual game, so it was a real treat to see so many well prepared armies.  

As far as my "Warhammer World", I have been working to organize a blended Warhammer/Mordheim campaign at Dicehead.  I've been thinking through the mechanics of it and working with some of the other guys to make some interesting but not overly fussy rules.  This has been taking up a good portion of the planning time for the game.

As far as hobby, I'm stretching some of my gaming dollars to try and build a converted phoenix model from the IoB griffin and a bit of greenstuff.  It still has some considerable construction work, but I'm happy with the progress so far.  I've built a base for it out of Sculpey, but I'm afraid that the Sculpey will be too fragile to support it and will break in half pretty quickly.  If so, I'll have to reorganize the base.

With painting, I have been working on the painting schemes for the different units in my HE army and spending some time trying some new techniques with blending and glazing.  I'm making a few of my swordmasters with distinct painting schemes to try out different looks and working to make their swords stand out more.

However, all of my hobby is also on a bit of hold as my wife and I just had our first child.  So actually playing has now been put on hold as we adjust to having him in our home.   

#7 Mawhonic

Mawhonic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:14 AM

Hey Ashley,

I've completed this conversion and would be happy to post some pics and/or advise! I used cork for my base and angled a small 40k flyer base with a clear pylon and green stuff to give him a swooping pose.

I could probably have done better sculpting the gaps in the wings and the underbelly but he certainly looks unique and impressive from a few feet away.

#8 Arydis

Arydis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationCleveland, TN

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:21 AM

Yeah, I'd love to see the picture of your converted work.  I will probably put a WIP picture of mine up on the forum in the next day or so just to get some feedback.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users