#1 CaptAmerica

CaptAmerica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationLenoir City

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:06 PM

As the topic asks... I have noticed a trend in 40k with the last two army books. There are now "colossals" in 40k. The Tau Riptide and the Eldar Wraithknight are both, imho, "colossals".

Some of you may be asking, 'What the heck is Cap talking about?' For those of you not familiar with the games Warmachine (and Hordes) colossals (and gargantuans) are huge Warjacks (and Warbeasts) on 150mm bases.

So now that Privateer Press is starting to out sell them in some markets they are going to take their cues from the youngling in the industry?

Now I'm not entirely sure what the base size is of the models in question but what's next... Is GW going to copyright the 150mm base?

I'm sure I'm going to be booed by the GW fanboyz and let me just stop you before you start, I have been a "fanboy" of GW since Rogue Trader was first released in England. My loyalty (as disgruntled as it may be) should not be in question.

I just wanted to see if any one else is thinking the same thing.

Cap

#2 The Kraken

The Kraken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationHarriman, TN

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:14 AM

Yeah I'm sure it's no coincidence that you see them popping up. GW isn't going to let someone have a good idea without including it themselves. They've been going down the road of merging 40k and apocalypse for a while now. Started with flyers. The should just call apoc 2.0, that's coming out this summer, 7th edition.
"A mind without purpose will walk in dark places"

#3 Tepogue

Tepogue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationChattanooga, TN

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:12 PM

It's more than just 40k, Since the release of the new Hardback Army Books and Codexes nearly all of the updated armies have gotten 1 big new kit. Off the top of my head:

Sphynx for TK

Arok Spider for O&G

Chaos Warshrine for Chaos

Celestial thing for Empire

For 40k it's mainly been flyers but looking back

GK - Dreadknight

Necron flyers

Helldrake for Chaos

Now Eldar with the flyer and Wraithknight

Also note the 40k rule book has pictures of Titans inside it and I think the Mega Bolter is in the weapon section? it's late and Im not fact checking this post, but the trend was established 2-3 years ago. It just seems with the recent shake up in GW leadership, that the green light in production has been lit and now we are in a golden age of new products.

Though I personally think this Wraithknight has broken the limits. I fought 2nd edition Armourcast titans, heck the old guys around here might remember "Benny" my pet Reaver Titan. And unfortunately my ex-wife got the Great Gargant and Phantom Titan in our divorce. but anyways. They just don't belong in 40k, Bring Epic, back.

http://tepogue.blogspot.com/

We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
We ran to the sounds of the thunder,
We danced among the lighting bolts,
And tore the world asunder.

#4 Kaptun Krum

Kaptun Krum

Administrator

• Warboss
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationPowell, TN

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:09 AM

I won't say that gw is following suit as I don't know when PP started their colossal trend. The monster kits in fantasy have always been popular starting with the giant. Then you had the screaming bell and hellpit. Granted none of these are the size of the wraith knight so I would classify it in terms o more apocalypse unit like the gargant and baneblade kits. It's also priced in that range as well.

#5 madival

madival

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Locationjohnson city, tn

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:18 PM

Fantasy has had huge kits for a while. They are impossing center piece units that make for a wonderful addiotion to any hobbiests army. The only armies I see run tons of the big guys are necrons with their flyer, chaos with the hell chicken, and twin terroghiests with vampire counts. EEvery other massive kit sees at most one use. It looks awesome, but isn't all the great. Saying they got them from warmahordes is a little out there. Colossal units devstate everything and are almost armies alone. Warhammer colossal are expensive single model units at best. Few rarely win games alone.
patience is an emotion that causes turmoil in the child races who were sleeping in the womb of their infant dieties while we conquered the universe. we are not patient, we are not kind....we wait...

lesserofallevils.blogspot.com

#6 Evilruss

Evilruss

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:54 PM

to be fair, the "knight" class has been around for a very long time. Epic had the "knight" class as a sort of infantry for titans and 40k has had a knight since the greyknights dreadknight. i think we will see in the very near future another stab at largescale games from gw.

#7 tenehuine

tenehuine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationMurfreesboro, TN

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:09 PM

GW has been working on bigger and better plastics for as long as I can remember, so its only natural that they would start making things the size of their Forge World line in 40k.  Now if you ask if some of the recent model design from WarmaHordes then I will agree with you (Forgefiend, DE Talos, etc).

"It's gotten to where I view 40k as a voluntary babysitting service that grown men pay for themselves whevener I hear someone gush about the importance of sportsmanship scoring." - Stormcrow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users