• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationLenoir City

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:42 PM

"OKTOBER SLUGFEST"
40K Rogue Trader Tournament
October 13, 2012

Army list point limit: 1750 points, allies allowed, no fortifications

Conduct of tournament: Each player fights in 3 different battles with 3 different opponents in 3 different scenarios.

Painting of models: Models should be fully painted, minimum of 3 colors and appropriately based.(Call Ed or PM CaptAmerica with any questions regarding painting of models.)

Time limit for each round: Two hours or 6 turns.

Entry costs: $10.00 for EARLY registration by Oct 12th $15.00 for gameday, Oct 13th

Number of participants: Limited to first 10 entrants / minimum of 6. NO ODD NUMBER TO PREVENT SITTING OUT. IF AN ODD NUMBER OF PLAYERS SIGNS UP A PROXY WILL BE PROVIDED.

Check-in @ 10:30am, 1st round @ 11:30am
Lunch break: 1:30pm - 2:30pm

Awards: 1st Place: $100.00 GDW
2nd Place: $60.00 GDW
3rd Place: $35.00 GDW

#2 Nocturus

Nocturus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationRockwood, Tennessee

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:12 PM

Answered.

#3 greycat

greycat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • LocationKnoxville

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:38 PM

I'll be there

My cat is bigger than yours

I am Cenarius of Hairy Plopper the Grey

#4 greycat

greycat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • LocationKnoxville

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:22 AM

I would sign up early. There are only 6 slots left

#5 Bestaltan

Bestaltan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationLiving in my favorite state. Denial.

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:04 PM

I better call tomorrow then. I should be easy to beat.....I will have had a root canal the day before.
Batman just tried to play AGAINST 6th edition Tyranids in a tournament.

Posted Image

#6 B00TR0NN

B00TR0NN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:26 PM

Why No Love for the forts? Many armies are seriously lacking in the anti air firepower that a good fort provides. Also, it seems the forts, and the new system for setting up the terrain have given new life to an otherwise sort of stale ~ everything 4+ game~ Just a thought but does not hobbytown likely have forts on the shelf? Does it not seem kind of strange that you would sell items that have some great new rules and add a whole new aspect to the game, and then ban them from gameplay? Are they so massively overpowered as to break the game?

Have we even played enough games to render an informed decision? Why not ban flyers? I would put forth the question...... Are we banning forts based on the fact that they are so overpowered? Or are we simply banning them because they demand that we come up with a new method for terrain setup at tournaments?

......... "Instant replay will slow down the game too much........." "A college football playoff will devalue the regular season........." ect ect ect

We should embrace change and innovate the tourney scene : ) GW put forts.. allies... flyers..... in the new rules for a reason.....

One final thought; giving players a hand in setting up the terrain on the table which they play could actually help take some of the onus off TO's... as we all well know, despite the different looking terrain, think of how many tourneys you have played where every table is a carbon copy... you know the deal... one big peice in the middle, and one peice centrally located in each other section, no peices touching the edge of the table... so on and so forth.... If you have not played a game where you used the new rules for setting up terrain, I urge you to do so, they have the forts factored in very nicely and it is well balanced.

No Dis, just some random thoughts.... What do you guys think about this issue?

As always, my apology for any poor spelling and whatnot.

Very Respectfully,

B00TR0NN
"Let them come by the thousands...... By the hundreds of thousands.....
...Let them bring to bear whatever corrupt and twisted weaponry they can muster.......
....It matters not brothers...... For we ARE the GODS of WAR.................
.....They will repent.... Or be forever pruged from the stars...........
~Fortuna Favet Fortibus~"

-Marneus Calgar-

#7 greycat

greycat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • LocationKnoxville

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:15 AM

I haven't seen any buildings for sale at Hobbytown or sci fi city.

#8 BoxerSaint

BoxerSaint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:55 AM

"Give me fortifications, or give me death!" - B00TR0NN, ~2012 A.D. :D
BoxerSaint(has a better signature than Stormcrow)

www.AnyGivenCodex.blogspot.com

#9 Tepogue

Tepogue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationChattanooga, TN

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:57 AM

My Aegis Defense Line is pretty much an auto include in all my lists now. Most of my armies have no access to anti flyer firepower without it. I faced down a 6 Vendetta list a couple of weeks ago. Stripping my only reasonable defense makes this tourney less attractive to me.
http://tepogue.blogspot.com/

We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
We ran to the sounds of the thunder,
We danced among the lighting bolts,
And tore the world asunder.

#10 Stormcrow

Stormcrow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:53 AM

I agree that terrain is not a bannable idea. I can see the skyshield being questionable, but they aren't that big of an issue.

I think the problem is that the aegis line itself is rather strong, especially on Guard and orks. It's too bad the gun itself cannon be taken like a thunderfire or something.

#11 B00TR0NN

B00TR0NN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:45 PM

Thank you for the replies mates.

What do you guys think about the new terrain density and setup method?
Let me be clear that my earlier comment was in no way an attack on hobbytown or the TO.
This issue is being talked about by alot of peeps in the hobby right now and I just want to know what our local guys think about it.
How do you think is a good way to manage terrain for tourneys now since the forts need to be factored in?
...Let them bring to bear whatever corrupt and twisted weaponry they can muster.......

-Marneus Calgar-

#12 madival

madival

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Locationjohnson city, tn

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:39 PM

Any slots left?
patience is an emotion that causes turmoil in the child races who were sleeping in the womb of their infant dieties while we conquered the universe. we are not patient, we are not kind....we wait...

lesserofallevils.blogspot.com

#13 CaptAmerica

CaptAmerica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationLenoir City

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:27 AM

Why No Love for the forts? Many armies are seriously lacking in the anti air firepower that a good fort provides. Also, it seems the forts, and the new system for setting up the terrain have given new life to an otherwise sort of stale ~ everything 4+ game~ Just a thought but does not hobbytown likely have forts on the shelf? Does it not seem kind of strange that you would sell items that have some great new rules and add a whole new aspect to the game, and then ban them from gameplay? Are they so massively overpowered as to break the game?

Have we even played enough games to render an informed decision? Why not ban flyers? I would put forth the question...... Are we banning forts based on the fact that they are so overpowered? Or are we simply banning them because they demand that we come up with a new method for terrain setup at tournaments?

......... "Instant replay will slow down the game too much........." "A college football playoff will devalue the regular season........." ect ect ect

We should embrace change and innovate the tourney scene : ) GW put forts.. allies... flyers..... in the new rules for a reason.....

One final thought; giving players a hand in setting up the terrain on the table which they play could actually help take some of the onus off TO's... as we all well know, despite the different looking terrain, think of how many tourneys you have played where every table is a carbon copy... you know the deal... one big peice in the middle, and one peice centrally located in each other section, no peices touching the edge of the table... so on and so forth.... If you have not played a game where you used the new rules for setting up terrain, I urge you to do so, they have the forts factored in very nicely and it is well balanced.

No Dis, just some random thoughts.... What do you guys think about this issue?

As always, my apology for any poor spelling and whatnot.

Very Respectfully,

B00TR0NN

Let me start off here by saying no offence taken.

I talked to Ed about this before we put the stuff on the calendar and the events forum. We were thinking about how we set the tables up before hand. a few of the tables have so much terrain on them that putting your defenses out could cause some issues. However, I will talk to Ed again and we will readdress the issue.

Tepogue: I agree with you on this part of it, I have a Space Wolfs army I was working on that I have put on the back burner because of that same reason.

greycat: We have a Imperial Bastion on the shelf right now but I've been having trouble keeping up with sales on the fortifications. I have addressed that issue with the owner and we are going to redouble our efforts.

Madival: There are 5 slots left as of 11:26am 09-28-2012

Sorry for the brief absence guys, I've been off the past 2 days and I was pretty busy.

#14 B00TR0NN

B00TR0NN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:11 AM

Thank you for the reply.

A wise Chief Master Sgt that I worked for once told me "Never complain about a problem unless you have an ample solution to offer.."

So my apology for not stating some solutions earlier...

Here are two COAs or "Courses of Action" that I think could help to solve this issue.

COA 1. Use the terrain density rules in the book for setting up terrain and setting up forts.

Positives to this COA.... Gamesmanship, the added gamesmanship of setting up terrain in this manner really adds an entire new level of strategy to the game; Variation, this method has yielded some terrain setups that my group would have never come up with otherwise, each and every battle is different; Balance, the forts and distribution are already balanced by GW in the rules so the balance is there; Ownership, players find it fun to have a hand in deciding what epic setting will host the battle, also this takes away the bad feeling a player gets when he is faced with a terrain setup that is horrible for his army type or provides too much of an advantage for his foe, this also has the fun side effect of putting to rest players complaining about this sort of thing.....

Negatives to this COA..... In a word TIME, setting the terrain up like this can add an extra 5-10 mins per game for faster players and more than that for slower or indecisive players; Terrain availability, this may not be a problem but could cause a situation if the slower players or someone getting started late gets stuck with the cruddy left over terrain or very little terrain.

COA 2. Have the TOs place terrain as they always have, and then before deployment if a person has a fort then that player shall take one peice of terrain out of his table half and then deploy his fort in roughly the same table quadrant as the terrain he took away, following all the rules listed in the book for terrain/fort placement.

Positives to this COA...... TIME, this overcomes the time issue; Density, this avoids adding to or subtracting from the overall terrain density of the table; Availability, this overcomes the issue of not enough terrain being available; Balance, since the player must still abide by all other rules for forts and the placement and use of forts this makes sure the forts are balanced as GW intended.

Negatives to this COA...... Variation, by not using the terrain density rules in the book players will miss out on the fun of having every table be a new and different challenge; Gamesmanship, by not using the terrain density rules in the book players will miss out on the HUGE added levels of strategy and fun that come with setting up the terrain in this manner; Lack of Ownership, this method will not allow the players to enjoy the fun of having a hand in setting up the scene for the epic battle they are about to fight in.

These seem like two very solid COAs to help solve this issue, chime in and let us know what you guys think about this issue?

As always, my apology for spelling and mistakes.

Very Respectfully

B00TR0NN

-Marneus Calgar-

#15 CaptAmerica

CaptAmerica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationLenoir City

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:06 PM

Sorry for the delay folks.

Get your lists ready, we are going to do fortifications!!!

Starting with the "Oktober Slugfest" your fortifications can be placed as follows...

COA 2. Have the TOs place terrain as they always have, and then before deployment if a person has a fort then that player shall take one peice of terrain out of his table half and then deploy his fort in roughly the same table quadrant as the terrain he took away, following all the rules listed in the book for terrain/fort placement.

Thank you BOOTRONN for the suggestion we hope that this will work for everyone.

Also, as of 3:03pm 10-03-2012 there are 4 slots for the Slugfest left.

Thank you all for your input. :)

Cap

#16 B00TR0NN

B00TR0NN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:09 AM

Thank you, I hope it will work out for everyone.

Please put me down for one of those slots. I will swing by and pay either sunday or monday.

-Marneus Calgar-

#17 greycat

greycat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • LocationKnoxville

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:24 AM

I was thinking to make things a little better we could set up our armies and then once everyone is ready we start the 2 hour time limit. It just seemed like we were spending 20 minutes setting up each game and that was having an impact on the number of turns everyone was able to finish.

#18 Bestaltan

Bestaltan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:26 PM

That, and a complete redesign of the scenarios. Not really fair to players when they lose simply because they placed fewer markers because of an odd number of objectives at the beginning of the game (as was the case in round three for at least a couple of players).

Generating scenarios at random just doesn't work for a 6th edition tournament. Heck, the scenarios in the book (as they are currently written) just don't work for a 6th edition tournament.

Posted Image

#19 Tepogue

Tepogue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationChattanooga, TN

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:43 PM

? Are people not bringing mobile armies? 5/6 missions revolve around objectives. If your army is just a gunline or deathstar base, then it can't really compete under 6th.

And to the post about set up. You need to move it on deployment and encourage your opponent to do the same.
http://tepogue.blogspot.com/

We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
We ran to the sounds of the thunder,
We danced among the lighting bolts,
And tore the world asunder.

#20 Bestaltan

Bestaltan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:02 AM

? Are people not bringing mobile armies?

Sorry. Didn't realize we were all supposed to take space marines.

Mobile your way out of hammer and anvil deployment (without using drop pods) when your opponent has two of the three objectives as far back in his deployment zone as he can make them.

The scenarios in the book are designed for a full 5-6 turn game. They are balanced for that. All balance goes out the window, however, when you are under a 2-hour window of play, where depending on your opponent, you may only get 3-4 turns in maximum. If you're having to zoom your way across 48" of table (or even more if you're using vanguard deployment), then not even a mobile force can make it that far in just a few turns.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users